HS Omega-3 Index ®
Developed by Prof. William S. Harris, an internationally recognized Omega-3 expert and by Prof. Clemens von Schacky cardiologist and German scientist, the HS-Omega-3 Index ® test measures the Omega-3 Index and EPA levels. and DHA in the blood using the same technology used in clinical studies that have demonstrated the correlation between the Omega-3 Index and heart disease risk.
HS stands for High Sensitivity - i.e. a test with high measurement sensitivity .
The Omega-3 Index (*) is considered an independent cardiovascular risk factor that is not influenced by other risk factors such as hypercholesterolemia or hypertension.
In addition to determining the Omega-3 Index and the basal levels of omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, the test allows you to:
- determine the levels of another 22 fatty acids including saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and trans fatty acids
- calculate the omega-6 / omega-3 and polyunsaturated / saturated ratios
- monitor omega-3 levels in individuals who are advised to supplement their diet with EPA and DHA
Why is it useful?
The HS-Omega-3 Index ® test provides a photograph of the nutritional status of the person, allows to address any imbalances and implement a basic prevention strategy by increasing the intake of omega-3 with fish or through dietary omega supplementation. -3.
Who is it suitable for?
The test is suitable for everyone. However, it is advisable to carry out the examination in the presence of particular conditions:
- incorrect nutrition;
- high psychophysical stress;
- cardiovascular disorders;
- chronic pathologies (hypertension, diabetes);
- chronic infections and inflammations;
- immune-allergic or skin diseases, such as eczema, atopic dermatitis and psoriasis;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding, to check the availability of essential nutrients for the development of the fetus (pregnancy), for the newborn (breastfeeding) and for the well-being of the mother.
How is the test performed?
- It is necessary to self-sample after an overnight fast (10 hours) using the lancet equipped with a fine needle.
- It is very important to let the blood drops collected on the filter paper dry for at least 15 minutes.
- The blood sample collected must be sent to the analysis laboratory on the same day as the collection.
- Make sure you have filled in the required information on the filter paper and silver bag.
- After having performed all these operations it will be possible to send the sample to the laboratory using the sterile package supplied with the kit.
What does the package you receive contain
- HS-Omega-3 Index ®
- Instructions in Italian on how to carry out the test and on shipping methods
- Pre-filled waybill (for the recipient field)
- Shipping envelope
- Adhesive pocket for documents to be applied to the shipping envelope
- Instructions on how to book a collection by courier.
- Consent to the processing of sensitive data and delivery of reports.
What the HS-Omega-3 Index ® test contains
1 Absorbent pad
1 Wet wipe
1 Automatic lancing device
1 Filter paper
1 Sealed silver plastic bag with desiccant inside
1 Label to be completed with the sender's postal address and e-mail address
1 Package Leaflet
How will he know the result?
The result of the analysis will be communicated to you by the laboratory via e-mail within 15 working days.
(*) von Schacky C. Omega-3 Index and cardiovascular disease prevention: principle and rationale. Lipid Technology 2010; 22: 151-4